Tuesday, January 23, 2024

The I am and the witness! ~Nisargadatta


The I am and the witness!
~Nisargadatta

The witness is both unreal and real. The last remnant of the illusion, the first touch of the real. To say: I am only the witness is both false and true, false because of the ‘I am’, true because of the witness. It is better to say: ‘there is witnessing’. 

The moment you say ‘I am’, the entire universe comes into being along with its creator.

34. Immortality is freedom from the feeling: ‘I am’. Yet it is not extinction. On the contrary, it is a state infinitely more real, aware and happy than you can possibly think of. Only self-consciousness is no more.
Who would remain even to say ‘I am the witness’? 
When there is no ‘I am’, where is the witness? In the timeless state there no self to take refuge in.