Monday, September 2, 2024

Connection with the inner silence of Being by Atman Nityananda



Connection with the inner silence of Being

Whenever we lose full contact with the inner peace and silence, there is a separation from it and extroversion of.mind amd attention.

Because of this, our minds become restless, and thoughts and emotions appear. This restlessness, agitation, and movement of the mind can disappear again when we connect completely with the inner silence and peace.

The methods we can use to restore a deep and complete connection with the inner silence are as follows:

1. Questioning Thoughts or Emotions: When thoughts or emotions arise, we can inquire into their source. For example, ask, “To whom have these thoughts arisen?” The answer is “To me.” Then, question further, “What is the source of the ‘me’?” This helps in tracing the origin of our sense of self and reconnecting with inner silence.

2. Focusing on the Sense of ‘Me‘: We can also direct our full attention to the sense of ‘me’ or ‘I.’ In this method, we first use the approach of questioning, but instead of seeking the inner source of ‘me’ or ‘I,’ we focus completely on the sense of ‘me’ itself. We can facilitate the concentration on the sense of ‘me’ by asking these questions: “Can I feel completely this sense of ‘me’?” or “Can I be fully aware of this sense of ‘me’?” By deeply concentrating on this sense of ‘me’, we align ourselves with the inner silence.

Meditation differs according to the degree of advancement of the seeker. If one is fit for it, one might directly hold on to the thinker, and the thinker will automatically sink into its source, namely, pure consciousness (the silent space of consciousness).

Ramana Maharshi

3. Another way to connect with inner silence and deepen it is to focus our awareness fully on the sense of “I am” or “I exist.” To make our attention and mind effortlessly focus on this sense of “I am,” we can use questions like, “Can I fully feel that I am?” “Can I be fully aware that I am?” and “Can I fully attend to the sense of ‘I am’?” By gently being aware of this sense of “I am” or “I exist,” we gradually get in touch with the background of the “I am,” the silent, empty space of consciousness.

4. Inquiring About Connection: Another method is to ask, “Can I connect with the inner silence?” After asking this once or twice, we simply turn our attention within and focus on the inner silence.

Every time our attention strays away from the sense of “I am” or the inner silence, we can use one of the above methods to reconnect with the inner silence. If we use the inquiry method, we ask, “To whom does this thought arise?” The answer is, “To me.” We then connect with the “me” and ask, “What is the source of ‘me’?” If we use the sense of “I am” method, whenever our attention strays, we can ask, “Can I feel the sense of ‘I am’?” “Can I feel that I am?” or “Can I feel that I exist?”. Our focus of attention thus returns to the Sense “I Am”, and we remain gently there, deepening in this Sense “I Am”. Through it, we connect with the silence within.

5. Another way to connect with inner silence is to mentally repeat the mantra “Om.” Repeat the mantra slowly, prolonging each sound, (Ooooommmmmm..) and focus initially on the sound itself and then on how it fades away. After the sound has completely subsided, remain fully aware of the silence that follows. Then, repeat the mantra again in the same prolonged manner, focusing first on the sound and how it gradually fades out. Finally, direct your attention to the silence that remains after the sound has completely vanished, maintaining awareness of this silence. When the mind becomes deeply quiet, we can cease repeating the mantra and focus solely on the silence. If the mind starts to wander or generate thoughts, we use the mantra to regain control and return to inner silence. Each time our mind strays, we repeat the mantra “Om” in a prolonged manner to refocus and reconnect with the inner silence.

How capable we are of maintaining a complete connection with the inner silence and avoiding the extroversion of the mind—thus preventing the loss of contact with it—or, when we do lose contact, how easily we can regain it, depends on the purity of our mind, the extent of our practice and on how much we have developed various capacities such as dispassion, discernment, concentration, devotion, and the desire for truth and liberation.

The ‘secret’ to a plentiful life, a life of harmony, happiness and contentment is to have a sattvic mind free from desires and ego and to live in every moment in conscious contact with our true Self (Consciousness).

🌺 Peace, Love, Harmony
f