Saturday, July 24, 2021

Guided relaxation ~ Atman Nityananda

 


Guided relaxation

We relax the body by passing slowly our attention like a scanner from the toes to the head. We can do this one or more times if necessary.

While we pass our attention from each part of the body we stay there for a while and we say mentally ''my toes for example are relaxed or loose and relaxed''. All tension is letting go my toes. My toes are loose and relaxed.

My toes are loose and relaxed, my feet are loose and relaxed, my ankles are relaxed, my legs are relaxed, my shins are relaxed, my calves are relaxed, my knees are relaxed, my thighs are relaxed, the buttocks are relaxed, my lower back is relaxed, my abdomen is relaxed, my pelvis is relaxed, my waist is relaxed, my spine is relaxed, my back is relaxed, my neck (back) is relaxed, my shoulders are relaxed, my arms are relaxed, my forearms are relaxed, my wrists are relaxed, my palms are relaxed, my fingers are relaxed, my belly (navel, solar plexus, stomach) is relaxed, my chest is relaxed, my throat (front) is relaxed, my chin is relaxed, my mouth is relaxed, my jaws are relaxed, my cheeks are relaxed, my eyes are relaxed, my forehead is relaxed, my temples are relaxed and my head is relaxed. Repeat the above process more than once if we deem it necessary, until the body feels relaxed. As we feel the different parts of our body and become aware of their condition the tensions relaxes.

After relaxing the body through the above process, we can remain in this state of relaxation without doing anything other than remaining aware of the body, mind and inner silence.

Alternatively we can focus on the breath (the rhythm of our breathing) and stay in the breath or repeat the mantra ‘Om, 'Om Nama Shivay' (or some other mantra) in combination with the breath if we will. We can also repeat phrases-affirmations related to our true Self (e.g., ‘I am Brahman, Om Brahman’) or make positive affirmations in relation to a virtue or quality we want to develop (e.g., peace, love, patience, will-power, tranquility, etc.)