Sunday, March 15, 2020

‘I’-ness and Atman o Kutashta or pure consciousness ¬ Swami Krishnananda


‘I’-ness and Atman o Kutashta or pure consciousness 
 ¬ Swami Krishnananda


The Self (Atman, Pure Consciousness) is set in opposition to the notion of all objectivity, because it is never objectified in experience. To it, everything objective is outside reality, as the feeling of ‘I’-ness in the individual regards all other things in the world as outside its reality. The sense of ‘I’-ness in the Jiva is falsely taken as a centre of consciousness, and all other things known by it are regarded as objects merely instrumental in bringing about experience in the former. Though ‘I’-ness assumes selfhood so far as its experiences are concerned and considers the world as an object to it, the ‘I’-ness itself is an object from the point of view of the Atman. The ‘I’-ness may falsely regard itself as a conscious principle, but from the standpoint of the Atman it is not consciousness-in-itself. The ego is objective to the Atman. ‘I’-ness and Self are different from each other, as silver and nacre are different in the analogy cited. This intrinsic superimposition, called Tadatmya-Adhyasa, between the Chidabhasa and Kutastha is responsible for the confused form of experience as conscious individuality. Avidya (Ignorance) is the cause of all these, and when Vidya (Knowledge) dawns Avidya is destroyed. However, the effect of Avidya may persist for sometime, though the cause is removed by Jnana.