Friday, April 19, 2013

I Am Not The Body by Robert Adams


 I Am Not The Body


28 September, 1990

Robert Adams:
(tape starts abruptly) ...I am merely voicing what I feel. I am Absolute awareness. I am sat-chit-ananda. I am not referring to Robert. I'm referring to I-am and remember I-am includes everybody here. I-am ultimate oneness. I was never born and I can never die. I am total bliss, infinite happiness, divine awareness, pure intelligence. This is the I-am.

It has come to my attention that the mantra that I gave you a while back is a little
confusing to most people. When you say the mantra, "Who am I, I am he, I am not the body." There's a little confusion. I was speaking to one of you last week and I saw where the confusion lies. When you say, "I am not the body," to whom are you referring? This is an important point.
"I am not the body," to most people means simply this: "I am not my body." But I
am a part from my body especially those of us with a Christian Judaeo background.

We say, "My body is the temple for the living God and God resides within myself."
This may be true to an extent, but it is not the ultimate truth. The ultimate truth is exactly what it says, "I am not my body." In other words, my body does not exist, but there are not two of us. There is not I-am and my body or there is not God and my body. There is not God residing in my body. There simply is no body. Nobody exists. Therefore I-am, is that I-am. You are consciousness just the way you are, but you are not the body. In other words what you think is the body, is consciousness. There is not the body and consciousness. There's the body as consciousness and the body does not exist the way it appears.

As an example: Take a movie theatre, you have the moving picture on the screen.
You do not see the screen because it's covered by images and you do not even think of the screen. You have no idea there is a screen because you do not think about it. You're thinking about the images. You become immersed in the movie, beginning, a middle and an end. But yet without the screen there would be no movie. So we can say the movie is not reality. The screen is the reality. And when the images cover the screen, the screen is still the reality. But the images give an appearance like reality.

An example of this is when you try to get up and grab the images on the screen what will you get. You’ll be grabbing the screen, for the images do not exist. And so it is with us. Everything you see, everything that appears are images, or what is called false imagination and the only truth about these images is consciousness. These are all cosmic images on the screen of consciousness, and that's everything. You and I, the chairs, the couch, the sky, the moon, the universe are simply images, appearances, optical illusions.

The truth is that you are consciousness, but you can't see yourself because of the maya, the grand illusion. So you believe that you are the body and you are the doer.
Again it's like the movie and the screen. You get wrapped up in the movie and you start to feel the movie. You have forgotten there is a screen and the screen is the reality, but you're all wrapped up in the movie. And you can tell me everything about the movie. But you can't tell me anything about the screen. The only time you remember there's a screen is when the movie is over and even then you do not pay any attention to it because you get up and go home. But remember, if it weren't for the screen there would be no movie.

So if it weren't for consciousness, there would be no images. Consciousness is real, the images are false. The images come and go, change continuously, constantly. But consciousness remains the same all the time. Consciousness is like emptiness, like empty space and you are that. I-am that I-am, that is the meaning of this. I am absolute awareness.
So you say, "Well how come I feel all these other things? How can I feel disease?
How can I feel hurt? How can I feel my problems?" The reason you feel these things is because of wrong identification. You're not identifying with the screen, you're identifying with the images. And as long as you believe that you're an image like the movie, you're going to suffer accordingly.

The secret is therefore to let go, and quiet your mind. Identifying with consciousness and not with the image which is called false imagination. But you may say to me, "Will I see my fellow man suffering? There's a war to break out in Iraq. All kinds of man's inhumanity to man is happening all around me. Is that false?" As long as you believe in it, then it's real to you. Therefore I will not tell you it's false because you believe in it.

Again it's like the person in the movie. I tell them the screen is the reality, but they say, "No, the images are real, I can see them, can't you see the person killing somebody else? And somebody dying of cancer? And a bomb falling on the city? How can you say that's not real?" So I come and take away the screen and there's nothing but a blur. This is what happens when you awaken. The human dream is over. It becomes nothing but a blur. And you become steeped in reality. Reality becomes bliss, happiness, eternal joy, sat-chit-ananda.

The question therefore is: How do I identify myself with consciousness? There's only one way and that is to quiet you mind. Your mind has to become quiescent, still. When the mind is still reality shines forth by itself. But as long as you accept images, images are problems, things that you see with your eyes and your senses, and you think they're real. Things that you feel. This is called false imagination. And because you feel these things first you suffer accordingly.

The secret is to transcend those feelings and again the only way to transcend those feelings is to quieten your mind. How do you quiet your mind? By taking time to be still. "Be still and know that I am God."

And if you can't become still by yourself there are vari-ous methods, the highest one being self-inquiry.

By simply asking yourself, "Who's mind is not still? Who feels all the images? Who suffers? Who becomes angry? Who identifies with the world?"

Again don't make the mistake and believe that you are not the body as I mentioned in the beginning. So you think you're separate. There are two of you. You think there's the body, and this is what advanced people who believe this now. They think they are not the body, but the body goes off by itself and does what it wants. But they are some-thing else. This couldn't be further from the truth. There's only one ultimate oneness. One!

There are never two. There's never the body and your Self. There's only the body as your Self. And as you see this the body vanishes and disappears. It disappears because it never existed. That which exists must always exist. That which never existed must disappear.

That's why the body gets old and dies, because it isn't real to begin with, it's an illusion. So, the real you is exactly what you are right now, the Self. You are the Self. You are not the body but you are the Self. It's one, not two. The body does not exist. If you're traveling in the desert and you see a body of water, compare the body of water to your body. You believe in it because you see it. Yet, when you get close to it it's not there it's an optical illusion.

True? The same thing with your body you see it, you carry it, you think it's yours and you have identified with it. Why? Because of your mind. Your mind is the culprit. When the mind becomes still, everything disappears and you become the Self, which you really are anyway. You have to use any method you have to, to quiet the mind.
You must ask yourself, "Who am I’? What is the source of the I’? Where did the I’ come from?" And then follow the I’ to its culmination. The I’ becomes like the mirage, doesn't exist. When you follow the I’ deep inside your heart, you will find that the I’ never existed. Remember also, that everything else is attached to the I. Every problem, the ego, the mind, everything is attached to this I’. So when the I’ is transcended, so is everything else and you're free.

But the important point tonight is this: When you say, "I am not the body." Realize that there are not two of you, there's only one. It means the appearance of a body does not exist in reality.

You are consciousness, you are the Self and that is the only reality and nothing else exists.
Any questions about that?

SD: It seems once you've explained it, you can almost just say, "I-am, is not the body." And that seems more clear to me saying that.

Robert Adams: If you're saying, "I am is not the body," then what is the body? (SD: Illusion?)Exactly.
As long as you remember that the body does not exist by itself, but it's like a projection on the screen, then you can say whatever you want. The whole secret is to know who you are and you are the immortal Self. You were never born, you can never die. You have always existed. You are sat-chit-ananda. That's who you really are just the way you are right now. Just the way you are. No changes have to be made. Just the way you are right now. You are God. You are consciousness.

But do not mistake this with the body. I am not saying that the body is God. I'm saying that you are God. But I see you as consciousness. I see you as absolute reality, as pure awareness. That is God. If you identify your body with God you're making a big mistake. Therefore when I tell you, "You are God" I am referring to your Self. Not your ego, not your mind and not your body. And when I refer to the term God, or consciousness, or absolute reality, I am referring to omnipresence.

So when I say, "I am consciousness" I am not referring to Robert. I am referring to I-am omnipresence, which includes the whole universe, do you follow that? Everything is consciousness, nothing is left out. This is why we have reverence for all things, for all of life. For the mineral kingdom, for the vegetable kingdom, for the animal kingdom and for the human kingdom. For everything is God. Nothing is excluded. If you hate anything, you're hating an illusion. If you feel out of sorts, or you feel sick, or you feel bad, or you feel angry, or you feel you've got a bad
temper, you're identifying with an illusion. This is false imagination. It's not you. The more you think about these things the freer you become. 


Peace love harmony